Friday, August 8, 2008

My last day here...

So, today is my last day in the Walt Disney World area; I've been here maybe a week now. Let me say this: a week is FAR too long for me to be here anymore. I've come here maybe 17 times in my life total, and I have to admit, aside from a few attractions (PhilharMagic), I've found myself getting really tired of the same old things. Now, it's not to say the shows aren't good. I love Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, and I feel like it's one of the best shows EPCOT has to offer. However, I can't see this show once a year. I find myself enjoying the gags less and less, and as I figure out how things work, they fail even further to impress.
Let me say this: I'm a huge on WDW nostalgia. If I could rip up the "Leave A Legacy" monuments, or pull that eyesore of an "icon" the Sorceror's Hat is in MGM Studios, I would. I am quite vehemently opposed to major changes in the parks, and like them the way they are (mostly). That said, my views of boredom in the parks may seem a tad...hypocritical. But don't think that. I'm merely saying that I myself plan on taking at least 3 years away from the resort, and hopefully when I return, there will be some things added. This is where talks of hypocrisy step in.
"Wait a minute," you say, "For someone who loves the 'old' Disney World so much, you want more added?" Yes. See, while I am opposed to bastardizing classic elements of Disney World (like "The Seas with Nemo and Friends", which I'll cover later), I am not opposed to removing some of the lower-caliber attractions for something good.
Example? Why not.
MGM Studios (which you'll notice I do NOT refer to as "Hollywood Studios" around here, I'm too used to its former name) removed a relatively popular show - "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire - Play It!" - in order to make room for one of the best attractions the park has to offer: "Toy Story Midway Mania".















Now, at first, I was unsure if this was a good choice. However, I rode this bitch THREE times, and found that each ride was well worth the ridiculous wait times. On the other hand, for every "Midway Mania", there's a "Stitch's Great Escape" - a useless merchandising ploy that took the place of an amazing, original concept.
Nevertheless, I've found myself getting bored with the thousandth ride of "Mission: SPACE", so I'm hoping that if I come back in a few years, I'll be as entertained by everything as much I was entertained by the newer stuff.

1 comment:

Flerg said...

As someone who was in a similar situation, I have to warn you, when you go back in a few years, it won't be any better. WDW is in your brain for good, and you never forget it. You'll get sick of it quicker each time you go. Especially when you start noticing all the things that are dirty or falling apart in the parks and all the dumb crap Disney keeps doing. It's all unpleasant surprises, and that gets old fast.